As South Africa adopts affirmative action policies, we profile some of the blacks who have overcome racial inequality. Half of South Africa’s 30 million blacks live below the poverty line. Despite this depressing statistic, a few break the trend. Black millionaires! Having acquired his wealth during apartheid, businessman Richard Maponya is the richest black in the country. Emerging from his opulent villa he reflects on the turbulent times and his success in gatecrashing the horse racing set. Sam Tsima, winner of a 1988 study scholarship, is now the manager of the biggest bank in South Africa. Fighting for black rights, he teaches German twice a week to youngsters from Soweto. Many feel betrayed when rich blacks enjoy the spoils and move to wealthy suburbs. Yvonne Chaka-Chaka, singer and businesswoman, justifies her extravagant lifestyle as the result of dedication and hard work. Clapping and swaying to the music at a dinner-dance, she serenades the most successful of all black South Africans – Nelson Mandela.
SOUTH AFRICAN MILLIONAIRES
- Ex-Model & Dancer: Baroness Moni... — Nationality: (Detroit, Michigan) American Ethnicity: African American She studied dance at Roland Dupree Dance Academy. Ms. Von Neumann is the first African-American woman to gain this honorable (Baroness) title. She has traveled the world and lived an astonishing life; a life about which most can only dream. Baroness Monica Von Neumann was married to the late Austrian [...]
- Alpha — An alpha male is the dominant male in a community or group. Zoologists and related scientists typically use the term to describe top-ranking male animals, but people also apply it to human beings, typically referring to adult men rather than boys. In either case, an animal or person with this label usually is an excellent [...]
- Science Explains The Effects Money Ha... — “Once we started using money, we found very reliable activation in these emotional circuits. This suggests that it’s not just sex, it’s not just drugs, it’s not just food that activates these circuits, money also activates these circuits and it does so very powerfully.” Could the fact that an ancient part of our brain gets [...]
- Africa’s Great Civilizations — Watch all six hours of Africa’s Civilizations on the PBS app or online! Major corporate support for Africa’s Great Civilizations is provided by Bank of America, Johnson & Johnson, and Ancestry. Major funding is also provided by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Gilder Foundation, the Corporation for [...]
- Science wants to know What Makes You ... — Which physical features light the flames of passion when we see a stranger across a crowded room? And why do women’s faces subtly change over the course of every month? –Model Panii Shirazi What makes you sexy and attractive to the opposite sex? Everyday, attraction starts the same way for millions of people around the world [...]